Saturday, 10 November 2012

Human Instincts by Ioana Visan Book and Author Spotlight

Human Instincts
Dr. Deanna Nichols is a geneticist searching for a cure to save the world. After the war nearly destroyed it by releasing an aggressive virus, it was the vaccine that killed the humanity’s chances for progress and survival. Deanna feels guilty because she has participated in creating the vaccine, and General Mackenzie never lets her forget that.

Their luck changes when they are contacted by the convicts held in a secret military prison hidden in the arctic desert. The C deviance criminals are willing to negotiate and provide unaffected DNA samples in exchange for supplies and a visit paid by the doctor herself. Suddenly there’s hope, so Deanna embarks on a dangerous journey to a grittier reality than she had expected.

Could a woman alone save the world?




Interview with the Author -

Ioana Visan

Ioana Visan


 Hi Ioana! Welcome to the Blog!

When did you start writing?

I’ve been constantly writing for the past ten years. I've always flirted with the idea that being a writer might be nice, but this was a plan for the distant future. So while I kept writing, I didn't seriously consider publishing for a long time. Then, when I turned 28, I told myself: "Okay, you get two more years to play, and that's it! Time to get serious." The day I turned 30, my first story was published.

Can you tell us a bit about ‘Human Instincts’ and your Inspiration for it?

The story was initially meant for an apocalyptic anthology, but I didn't want it to be something depressing. Therefore, I focused on a particular issue and not on the post-apocalyptic world itself. I also knew I wasn't interested in the technological part but more in the psychological concepts, and I wanted a strong female protagonist. It worked so well that the story ended up longer than planned and, when the project fell apart, I decided to publish it as a novella.

It’s not your typical apocalypse scenario, it deals more with the way the world’s end affects the few survivors. We had this virus that killed a big part of the population, and then the vaccine crippled on an intellectual level the ones left standing. In this setting, Dr. Deanna Nichols struggles to find a cure. When the opportunity arises to get unaffected DNA from the convicts held in a maximum security prison, she jumps at the chance to do it. Everything goes to hell from here on. There are hard decisions to be made.

What three words would you use to best describe ‘Human Instincts’?

Let me quote from the reviews: clever, alert, intense.

Can you tell us a bit about Dr. Deanna Nichols, the main character in ‘Human Instincts’?

Dr. Deanna Nichols is a scientist who participated in the creation of the vaccine meant to protect people from a deadly virus released by the enemy, and by doing so she unintentionally crippled all of the survivors. You can imagine that living with that burden on her conscience is not easy and all she wants to do is find a cure for the vaccine’s side-effects. Her dedication to the cause goes to extreme lengths and she doesn’t hesitate to put her own safety at risk, when there’s even a slim chance to find a solution for her problem. She’s smart, compassionate, and determined, and she won’t stop until she succeeds.

Is ‘Human Instincts’ a standalone novel or will this be part of a series?

While the ending leaves room for a sequel, it wasn’t written with one in mind and at the moments I’m busy with too many projects to even consider it.

Can you tell us about your other books? (If you have any)

My stories have been included in several Romanian anthologies (three of them are coming out later this fall) and in Evolution: Vol. 2 English story collection. I’ll have my own story collections dealing with werecreatures published soon. Final draft is currently sent to my editors so it shouldn’t take long.

Can you tell us what you’re working on at the moment? (If you are)

I’m working on a vampire novella and I’m half way done. It will bring a new twist to the vampire lore, because for once vampires don’t come from Transylvania and Vlad Tepes’ pseudonym isn’t Dracula, but quite the opposite.

Other than your own, what are your favourite books?

I prefer to read science fiction and fantasy, both classics and modern. I’m never comfortable when I have to choose a favorite, because there are so many good books out there, but I guess Dune by Frank Herbert will always remain close to my heart. It’s the book that set me on this path.

Random Questions
- What’s your favourite treat?
I won’t say a good book because that’s too obvious. So let’s go for ice cream. Or an ice skating show. I’m happy either way.

- What’s your Favourite place to read/write?
My living room desk for writing and grandma’s yard for reading (preferably when it’s not raining).


Author’s Bio:

Ioana Visan has always dreamed about reaching the stars, but since she can't, she writes about it. Her stories have been published in several Romanian anthologies and magazines. Her English debut came with the short story "Unhinged Reality" published by Every Day Fiction. "Human Instincts" is her first novella in English and she also has a story included in "Evolution: Vol. 2" story collections published by Evolved Publishing.

Links:
Website:    http://ioanavisan.zxq.net
Blog:          http://weirdvision2001.blogspot.com
Twitter:       https://twitter.com/weirdvision




3 comments:

  1. Virus books bring out my hypochondria and I can't read them, but I really enjoyed reading your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds Great! Good interview too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This books sounds interesting. I love that the author reads in her grandma's yard, so cute.

    ReplyDelete