Saturday, 27 October 2012

Author and Book Spotlight - Colors like Memories by Meradeth Houston

Julia has a secret: she killed the guy she loved. It was an accident—sort of. 

Julia is a Sary, the soul of a child who died before taking her first breath. Without this 'breath of life' she and others like her must help those on the verge of suicide. It's a job Julia used to enjoy, until the accident that claimed her boyfriend’s life—an accident she knows was her fault. If living with the guilt weren't enough, she's now assigned to help a girl dealing with the loss of her mother, something Julia's not exactly the best role model for. If she can't figure out a way to help her, Julia's going to lose her position in the Sary, something she swore to her boyfriend would never happen.
Available from MuseItUp Publishing. 

 Interview with the Author -

Meradeth Houston


 Hi Meradeth! Welcome to the Blog!
Thanks so much for hosting me!

When did you start writing?
I started writing for fun when I was around 11 years old. I had always been one of those students who got in trouble at school for reading under their desk, and writing kind of grew out of that habit.

Can you tell us a bit about ‘Colors like Memories’ and your Inspiration for it?
Colors is really Julia's story, and her working through loss, and finding a way to forgive herself. Honestly, where the inspiration for her story exactly came from, I have no idea. But the story itself came to mind while listening to Linkin Park on my drive home one day. It all just sort of came together from that (which is sometimes a little creepy--my subconscious has a very wild imagination!).

What three words would you use to best describe ‘Colors like Memories’?
Love, Loss, and Kissing. Or maybe Flying. Honestly, I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to think of something good, but I'm not coming up with anything better than that :).

Can you tell us a bit about Julia, the main character in ‘Colors like Memories’?
Julia's a Sary, a guardian for those who are about to take their own life. She's immortal, and once had a partner who died during the Civil War (in the States). She feels really responsible for what happened to him, and can't quite get past it. But she has to now, because the girl she's been assigned to, Marcy, is not just her assignment, but her best friend, and saving Marcy's going to take everything Julia's got. Oh, and then there's Edison. He kind of leaves Julia completely confused--in a good way.
Is ‘Colors like Memories’ a standalone novel or will this be part of a series?
There will be several other Sary books (book #2, The Chemistry of Fate will be released next April). Book #3 is currently being written. These three are all stand-alone books set in a world with the Sary, but tie together in subtle ways. For example, there are a couple of characters that link between Colors and Chemistry.

Can you tell us what you’re working on at the moment? 
Book #3, which still needs a title other than "The Story" as I believe it is currently titled in my files :) I also have a completely different sci-fi book that I can't wait to whip into shape.

Other than your own, what are your favourite books?
I have far too many! But I adore A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle, really enjoyed the Fallen series by Lauren Kate, and The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clair (well, all of her books, really). Hmm, oh, and anything by Maggie Stiefvater, too. I should stop now--this list could get out of hand way too easily!

Random Questions 
- What’s your favourite treat? 
Hot chocolate! (I'm about to make some as I'm writing this :)

- What’s your Favourite place to read/write? 
In the world, I'd have to go with Planet Cafe in Barcelona (I kinda lived there while I was in the city for a few months earlier this year--such good hot chocolate!). Where I'm living now, probably the cafe in Hastings, which is this big book/DVD store that has a pretty nice little spot for coffee and relaxing.

- If you won the lottery what would you most look forward to spending money on?
Books. And clothes. Purses. Probably some shoes. A big house with a giant library first though, lol!

- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? 
Hmm, that's a tough one. Stateside, San Diego, near the beach. Worldwide: Spain (Barcelona especially), or Kyoto Japan, or maybe London. I kinda love to travel and those are some of my favorite places. In all honesty, I'd probably move around a lot if I had the money to do it!

Thanks a million for the wonderfully fun questions!!
Thanks to Meradeth for stopping by the blog!

A bit about Meradeth Houston:

Meradeth’s never been a big fan of talking about herself, but if you really want to know, here are some random tidbits about her:

She’s a Northern California girl. This generally means she talks too fast and use "like" a lot.
When she’s not writing, she’s sequencing dead people’s DNA. For fun!
She’s been writing since she was 11 years old. It's her hobby, her passion, and she’s so happy to get to share her work!
If she could have a super-power, it would totally be flying. Which is a little strange, because she’s terrified of heights.

http://youtu.be/HFRNJ-Yn7So (teaser trailer)


7 comments:

  1. Great interview, the book sounds good. That's a pretty cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for hosting me today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I like the concept of this book a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess if you could fly, I guess you wouldn't need to worry about falling. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, that's what I tell myself at least!

      Delete