Saturday, 29 September 2012

Author and Book Spotlight Post - The Forever Contract by Avery Sawyer



The Forever Contract (A Dystopian YA Novella)

In the very near future, the country is plunged into drought and unrest. Scare resources and constant heat are making life completely miserable. Casey doesn't think she can stand slugging back another gel pack or working one more shift at the wells. Fortunately, there's a solution: anyone over the age of seventeen can sign the Forever Contract and enter a utopian paradise. While people's minds take a permanent vacation, their bodies get warehoused and hooked up to a complex array of sensors and feeding tubes. As Casey's brother says, "You upload your consciousness to the system and you're free to live as long as you want, however you want. No more pain, no more heat, no more awful dust, no more work. Just pure thought. It's what our species has always been meant for. Suffering is for philosophers. Not for me."

Casey's ready to sign--a permanent vacation is just what she needs. There's only one problem: her boyfriend James doesn't trust it.

Told from his and her perspectives, The Forever Contract is a 17,000 word (60 page) novella suitable for readers in grade 8 and above.

Would you sign the contract?




Interview with the Author 
- Avery Sawyer





Hi Avery! Welcome to the blog!

Thank you!
When did you first start writing?

I first began writing in college, when I was a book reviewer for one of the newspapers on my campus. I got to meet some amazing authors, including Mona Simpson. When I graduated, I got serious about writing for a living and began taking on freelance assignments. After a few years of working on articles and other shorter projects, I began writing fiction. The Teashop Girls (2008) was my first novel. It was about a three year process from conception to publication. I learned a lot during that time, and I think I'm still evolving quite a bit as a writer.


Can you tell us a bit about ‘The Forever Contract’ and your Inspiration for it?

I was inspired by the drought much of the country experienced this summer, as well as my own love of spending time online. I enjoy reading the news, chatting with people on writer's forums, and interacting on Twitter. It's not that much of a leap to ask, What if this online life became our only reality? What would we gain? What would we give up?


What three words would you use to best describe ‘The Forever Contract’?


Exciting, desperate, romantic


Can you tell us a bit about Casey, the main character in ‘The Forever Contract’?’


She's torn. She wants to join her brother in utopia, but she can't imagine life without her true love James, who smells a rat in the terms of the Forever Contract. She's a fighter who is slowly waking up to the reality everyone is facing. She's on the edge between childhood and adulthood, and adulthood is looking quite terrifying. Still, she's strong enough to handle it. She has strong natural empathy for people, which is one of the reasons James loves her.


Is ‘The Forever Contract’ a standalone novel or will this be part of a series?

It's very short. I envision writing several more novellas that take place in this dystopian world, perhaps focusing on different characters' realities there. I want to write more about Casey and James as well. It's a bit risky releasing a work as an episode in a larger whole, but ebooks allow authors to innovate and take chances like this. I love it!


Can you tell us what you’re working on now?

I'm taking a break from fiction writing to recharge a bit. I just got married, so my new husband and I are house-hunting and I'm working to build out my non-fiction Planet Explorers Travel Guides for Kids series. :) I'm eager to back to the world of The Forever Contract, though.


Other than your own, what are your favourite books?

The Hunger Games, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Great Gatsby, The Night Circus

Random Questions –
-          What’s your favourite treat?
Baked mac and cheese


   What’s your Favourite place to read/write?
In my loft in my apartment

-          If you won the lottery what would you most look forward to spending money on?
Travel.

-          If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I'd split my time between Wisconsin (where I live now--I really like it!), and someplace warm in the winter (probably Florida, as I have family there).



Find Avery here:
Links: http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Contract-Dystopian-Novella-ebook/dp/B008R9DDZ0
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WhatToReadAfterTheHungerGames
Twitter: https://twitter.com/teashopgirl

Add 'The Forever Contract' to Goodreads!

'The Forever Contract' is free to read with Amazon Prime ☺  


Thanks so much to Avery for stopping by and answering my questions! ☺
I think 'The Forever Contract' sounds great and I am so looking forward to reading it!
What do you think?



4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how that would work.

    I did watch an old movie called "The Thirteenth Floor." Same idea without telling the people or the avatars.

    I will admit it was entertaining. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this sounds like an amazing book. I love how she came up with the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds really good! I've read Notes To Self and enjoyed Avery's writing very much.

    ReplyDelete