Tuesday, 28 August 2012

The Host by Stephenie Meyer


 
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The Host (The Host, #1)Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.


As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.


Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.







The Host by Stephenie Meyer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Host(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. I also own a paperback copy of this book.)
Wanderer is a soul – an alien life-form that requires a host to live – like a parasite. Wanderer has lived many different lives on many different planets, she’s been a bear, a flower, a ‘see-weed’, and now she has come to earth.
Wanderer has been implanted in an adult human host – Melanie, only what Wanderer doesn’t though is that Melanie is unlike any of her previous hosts – Melanie won’t just stop existing, she will continue to fight to get her body back, and Wanderer must find a way to co-exist or get rid of Melanie, who is making her life difficult.
The Host is the story of Wanderer (or Wanda), and Melanie, and their fight – to save the human race, to become truly human, and to fins true love.

I love this book. This is the second time I’ve read it and I love it just as much now as I did the first time I read it. It really makes you think, and it’s one of those books that you just can’t get out of your head. You’ll finish it, start reading something else, and your mind will keep drifting back to this instead.
I loved Wanda. She really is such a gentle, peaceful, loving creature, and is so self-sacrificing if she thinks it will help someone else in some way. I love the way that she fights for Melanie, even though she initially doesn’t want her in her head, and I love the way that she fights for Melanie’s family when she realises that being in Melanie’s body means that she shares Melanie’s feelings.
The other characters are also quite diverse and quite different, and ultimately very human. I did find Melanie a little childish at times, but I think I’d be pretty childish too if someone else took over my body!
I loved Wanda’s stories of the different planets that she’d lived on, and the different beings that she had lived as. They were all so varied, and there was such a wealth of different ideas and experiences.
I really enjoyed the storyline in this book, although in places it does seem as if it takes a long time to get anywhere, although this does make sense really as obviously it takes time for trust to build; especially between warring species.
I have to say that I am not that big a fan of twilight (sorry), but this I love, so don’t be put off if you don’t like twilight.

Overall; I loved this book and I will definitely read this one time and time again.
9 out of 10.


 

7 comments:

  1. Omg this is one of my favorite books EVER I loved it so much! I'm glad you did too and I should read it again too definitely before the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the movie, so excited! Love this book ☺

      Delete
  2. I have these few rare books that I give 6 stars to. The Host is going to be one. I read it a long time ago and loved it so much I still think about it today and gush about it to everyone. I still can't believe Meyers could write something as bad as Twilight and write something as amazing as The Host. It was pure genius. You know how some books you read but you forget a lot about them over time, well this book is not one of those. I remember this book like I read it yestersday. I think I need to reread it soon.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Twilight and The Host are worlds apart! This really is one of those books that is just truly unforgetable though ☺

      Delete
  3. This has definitely made my list of top faves! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book too! I was very impressed at how well she kept this book separate from twilight. She write The Host so differently. Amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I have read a lot of reviews for this book and people have either loved it or hated it...BUT, I loved it! Glad you gave it 5 out of 5. I have read it 3 times now and I still love it. I liked it better than Meyer's Twilight series (please no one try to smack me). This book was just different and refreshing from all the vampire/werewolf books that had a sudden rush in the literary world.
    Great review on this book!

    ReplyDelete