Sunday, 8 April 2012

Wraith's ForestWraith's Forest by L J Leger
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
16-year-old Jenna goes to harvest fruit from The Tree of Providence on the last day of harvest, only to find that one of the fruits has fallen onto the floor and bruised.

Returning to the village, she is told that to amend for the bruised fruit she must go into the forest, and ask the wraith if she may borrow his magical knife to heal the fruit.

Doing as she was asked Jenna sets off into the forest. Finding the wraith she tells him her request, and he asks for her to stay with him for 7 days in return.

During this time Jenna finds out that the wraith is not a bad man, he was cursed to wander the forest and protect the tree of providence by the wizard and his own father!

Jenna retrieves the knife from the wraith, but at the last moment realises that she is fighting for the wrong side, and that it is the wizard who is evil.


This is a short retelling of ‘the beauty and the beast’. The storyline is different but the rest of the story is basically the same.

I found it quite difficult to get into this book, and because it was quite short I didn’t feel like I really got involved with the characters or cared much about what happened to them. To be honest I found my attention wavering dramatically to the point where I had to switch to reading something else several times, and then go back to this again later.

Overall, a nice short story, but just didn’t really do it for me.
5 out of 10.
(Book length: 720 kindle locations)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment