Tuesday, 10 April 2012

'Until Next Time' Blog Tour - review and interview!






Until Next Time (The Angel Chronicles, #1)Until Next Time by Amy Lignor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(I was given this book for free as part of the ‘until next time’ blog tour, on a read-to-review basis.)
Emily and Matt are soulmates. They’re also angels.
Trained in heaven, they are to be sent down to earth on missions, placed in bodies whose souls moved on too early, to complete that person’s destiny on earth.

This is the first time that Emily and Matt will be sent down to earth, and they are shocked when they are told that once down there they will remember nothing about being angels, and nothing about their training, and will have to rely on blind faith the same as the rest of humanity. They will also not remember one another, which neither believes is possible.

Sent down to earth, Emily becomes Liz, and Matt becomes Daniel, and they soon realise just how different things are from heaven. Now it is up to them to achieve what they have been sent down to do, which turns out to be more difficult than either expected.

This book had some interesting ideas – angels being trained to go down to earth to fulfil a destiny – although I have to question if it’s possible to have both a destiny AND free will.

The characters of Emily and Matt were both nice, and obviously shared a special bond, even when they couldn’t physically be together. I liked the characters that they met down on earth - Faith, Charles, Jason etc., who Emily really cared about.

I did spend quite a lot of this book being confused; not confused because I didn’t know what was happening exactly, but confused because I didn’t get where the story was going, and I didn’t really have enough background knowledge of the different saints and people to really understand certain things.

I also thought that the language used wasn’t really appropriate for the year 1810, or Ireland (there wasn’t a single “grand” or “t’anks a million”) and I seriously doubt whether people would travel back from America to Ireland for Christmas, which in that time would have to have been a harrowing journey taking several weeks with a very real risk of death.

This book did carry some nice messages though:
- That there has to be balance in the world – there can’t be joy without suffering, love without hate.
- That loneliness is a human emotion – people are never really alone.
- That in the end we’ll all be reunited with the ones we love.
- That angels are watching over us every day.
- That the evil will be punished accordingly.

I also liked the ending to this story. Even though Emily didn’t really get the happy ending that I wanted for her, things worked out okay in the end, and the epilogue was a real teaser! I am actually really intrigued to find out what happens to Emily and Matt in their next life!

Overall - a few flaws but doesn't detract from the main story, and I really want to know what happens next!
6 out of 10.
(Book length: 4447 kindle locations)



View all my reviews

Interview with Amy Lignor!:


When did you start writing?

I began writing when I was very young, and told the true story of preteen-‘dom.’ The book was called My Life: A Comedy and a Tragedy, and it was mostly filled with sarcasm (surprise, surprise). It centered around a truly hideous vacation my parents, sister and I went on. I’m telling you - it could’ve been a bestseller. Even the cover with the theatre masks on the front was awe-inspiring (LOL.)

What was your inspiration for Until Next Time?

I’m sure some readers may be sick of hearing about this, but I was in my early teens when my grandfather - my absolute best friend - passed away. I was so angry at life, God - everything you can possibly like of - and I began to dream. (I know, old, boring story but absolutely true.) His name was Matt and we always met in a gorgeous library where he would tell me what it was like being an angel, and how much he wanted to come down to Earth and be free. He spoke about wanting to experience all our emotions, like the sadness and anger that I was feeling at the time. He actually made me feel better and I began to realize that my grandfather was just fine up there and that my life, even though it stunk at that particular moment, had a purpose. It was later in life that I wanted readers to meet Matt and understand him.

What three words would you use to best describe Until Next Time?

Unique. Emotional. Lasting.

What are your favourite things about Emily and Matt?

I love Emily’s sarcasm. I love the way she looks at life, judges it, but still has the ability to ask questions and TRY to understand the meaning of it all before just ditching the whole thing. I also truly love how much she cares about others and wants to do a good job protecting them.

Matt is all about strength and loyalty. The beauty of his relationship with Emily and how much he truly cares for her, and will stand by her side no matter what, gives you hope. I also love his zest for life. He does take the important things seriously, but also has the ability to smile and enjoy all things that life throws at him.

How do you think you would react if you found out that your other half was actually an angel?

Well, I guess for me I would just shrug my shoulders and say: “Take me to your library.” I would also wish with all my heart that he was just like Matt. I know that he would be busy, but that’s okay because while he was out working I could type even more.

Is there a sequel in the works? And when can we expect it?

Yes, Ma’am. This is a series that originally was set up as a trilogy. Book II takes Matt and Emily into the Gilded Age of NYC. How they ‘take their human places’ is extremely interesting this time around, and Matt really gets to ‘shine’ in this one. Hopefully it will be out in December or January. It is written and being edited right now.

Do you already know how Emily and Matt’s story will end, or will it come to you as you write it?

I do know. I actually wrote the very end of their journey first and it hasn’t changed since I wrote it down a decade ago. The thing I love about this is that there are no ‘certainties’ when it comes to Matt & Emily. You don’t actually know who she’ll choose, or how they’ll all end up because each and every character gets to be a ‘bad guy’ at some point during a journey - so it’s not all ‘wrapped up’ like love triangles are nowadays. I wanted to be unique and keep people surprised (like when Dumbledore died.)

Other than your own, what are your favourite books?

As a book reviewer and a writer of reviews and articles for so many magazines, this is really hard. I have to say my favorite authors have always been the incredible Austen for romance; Poe for the odd thrills and chills (which makes me SO happy that The Raven is coming to the screen and the Masque of the Red Death has been used in the YA world). I also love Dean Koontz, and the master of the art, Stephen King. I love Pam Jenoff and her emotional titles like, The Kommandant’s Girl, and Syrie James is outstanding.

Thank you so much for having me on your site! Just as an FYI, because of incredible sites like yours there is a huge Twitter party for Matt & Emily where books AND cash will be given away!  I hope you and your readers can come.

Twitter Party
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
8 p.m. Eastern

Follow hashtag #UntilNextTime as author Amy Lignor answers your questions for 90 minutes live on Twitter. A $50 cash prize will be given to the person who has a receipt confirming an ebook purchase of Until Next Time and tweets at least once during the Twitter Party. We'll also be giving away a variety of ebooks and print books throughout the event. Let us know if you are planning to attend by tweeting @TributeBooks or @HelloWritersAmy to RSVP.

Thanks so much to Amy for this insightful interview, and thanks for stopping by here on her blog tour!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Elizabeth, thanks for the in-depth review of "Until Next Time." I really appreciate how you listed all of the various themes the story touches upon. It was really great to hear from Amy via an interview as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - Thank you for having me on your site and giving the angel/warrior team a chance to shine. Desinty vs. free will is definitely the question and Book II wil show you what, exactly, that means :) It's because of amazing sites like yours that we are now having a Twitter party! I hope you and your readers can join us for fun, cash and book giveaways!

    Twitter Party
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012
    8 p.m. Eastern

    Follow hashtag #UntilNextTime as author Amy Lignor answers your questions for 90 minutes live on Twitter. A $50 cash prize will be given to the person who has a receipt confirming an ebook purchase of Until Next Time and tweets at least once during the Twitter Party. We'll also be giving away a variety of ebooks and print books throughout the event. Let us know if you are planning to attend by tweeting @TributeBooks or @HelloWritersAmy to RSVP

    ReplyDelete