Thursday, 19 April 2012

Masquerade read-along Week 3!




Week 3 already!!!


1. Heven’s mother has definite ideas about Heven and her scars – what they mean – and their relationship is strained. Do you think their relationship can be saved?
A: Mother’s are just nuts at times. No Offence but it has to said. I’ve never met someone who hasn’t argued with their mother at one time or another. I can attest to the fact that mothers sometimes have some very strange ideas, and Heven’s mum is no different. I’d suggest ignoring her and eventually she’ll forget all about it.
2. Sam tells Heven about how he came to be living on his own, how his parents kicked him out after he became what he is. He doesn’t seem angry though, he seems to accept it. Would you be angry? Do you think he should be?
A: I’d be pretty angry. No, make that very angry. Parents are supposed to support us, not kick us out on the streets. I’ve just realised that all the parents in this book are pretty useless aren’t they – Heven’s mother thinks she eveil, Sam’s parents abandoned him, and Kimber’s parents pay her no attention whatsoever. What are you trying to tell us Cambria?!
3. During these chapters, Heven and Sam visit the Inbetween and meet Airis (aka The Hope). Were you surprised by this series of events? Do you think a place like the InBetween really exists?
A: Am I totally dumb that I wasn’t 100% sure that Airis was the voice of ‘the Hope’?
Anyway, this turn of events was very surprising. Downright crazy really. I have to say that I’m hard to please, and it takes real talent to pull off a crazy twist like that without me going ‘What? I don’t think so!’ (Baby Renesmee for example – just made me laugh).
My thoughts on the whole ‘inbetween’ place are just that it’s both possible and impossible. I haven’t evidence to disprove its existence, or evidence to prove it non-existence, so it’s both. It’s Schrodinger’s cat all over again basically. (Sorry, that one turned into a bit of a physics answer didn't it?!)
4. When Heven’s scars are no longer a part of her and she says “she no longer recognizes herself” – do you think that the absence of her scar will change her once more?
A: I think Heven had got used to hiding, and the loss of the scars got her a lot of attention that she wasn’t ready for. I expect she will change to some extent, it’s only natural that the change will affect her in some way.
5. Gran is very accepting of Heven and of Sam. Do you think that she understands more – knows more than she lets on about Heven’s life or do you think her love is just unconditional?
A: I think Gran is just being a Gran. Gran’s tend to be a bit more accepting, they don’t have to deal with you and discipline you all the time. What’s the saying? ‘If mum says no ask gran’?


Loving this read-along!

7 comments:

  1. Great answers. It took me awhile to see how screwed up all the parents are too. It is really something that both Sam and Heven have had such huge difficulties with their parents. Both parents have their own harsh judgment about what is going on with their children. I wonder if both families are connected in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers!! Well, I tell you it wasn't intentional that they all seem to have screwed up parents. LOL! It kind of ended up that way... but I think it works within the story.

    It's okay you didn't realize that Airis is the Hope. :) It was a lot to digest - some of it craziness but personally thats why I like books and writing... ahhh, the things that cane happen!

    Your right too that Heven was used to hiding and the loss of her scars brought on a lot of attention - that was a great point!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool answers :) Mothers ARE nuts...I still can't deal with mine for prolonged periods of time...lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, mother daughter relationships are,difficult but hoepfully they will grow and change as time goes on. I never realized that there were bunch of dead beat parents either. I didn't realize Aris was The Hope either so don't feel dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get The Hope thing either till I read the question. Schrodinger's Cat...heehee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again :)

    Good answers this week! I think you're definitely right about her scars. I think she was used to hiding behind them and now without them she wasn't expecting all of the attention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for all of your comments! :)

    ReplyDelete