Thursday, 5 April 2012

Masquerade read-along week 1!

 


Welcome to week one of the Masquerade Read Along!
This is the first time I am reading Masquerade so it is all new to me, and I am loving it so far! Thanks so much to the lovely Cambria Hebert for providing a Kindle copy of this book for review. Visit her here -> http://cambriahebert.com/

The story so far: (chapters 1 - 8)


Heven used to have it all. She was popular, she was a cheerleader, she was always dressed fashionably, but all that changed one night as she was walking home from school.

Attacked by an unknown entity, Heven has been left with three scars down her left cheek, and a certain amount of nerve damage too. She’s lost her self-confidence, she’s given up cheerleading, and she spends most of her time trying to hide behind her hair.

The only thing that hasn’t changed is her friendship with her best friend Kimber. Kimber has stuck by her, and Heven is grateful for that, but now Kimber is making a mistake and Heven isn’t sure what to do about it.

Kimber and her boyfriend Cole have been together but arguing for as long as Heven can remember, but they always make up. Now Cole has been caught kissing another girl, and Kimber is really mad. Even though Cole claims he was kissing the other girl for a bet to raise money for a birthday present for Kimber, she is determined to get revenge.

Sam is new at the school, and lots of the girls are interested in the gorgeous new guy. Heven is attracted to him, but would never act on this attraction because of her issues with her scars. Kimber doesn’t have those kind of worries though, and begins to date Sam just to make Cole jealous, and boy is it working!

The other thing worrying Heven is that she constantly feels like she is being watched. She’s always looking for something in the shadows (the thing that attacked her?), and it isn’t helping her to move on.

Thankfully Kimber realises the mistake she is making with Cole, and gets back together with him, which leaves Sam free for Heven to get to know. For some reason she feels safe with him, a feeling that she craves, and she’s more than relieved that Sam is with her when she is harassed by two men in the street. Occasionally though she catches a glimpse of a different Sam, a Sam that scares her, and she has no idea where this comes from.

The question is, who or what is stalking Heven? And what is Sam hiding?



 
Week 1/ Chapters 1-8 Discussion Questions

1.       If you were disfigured like Heven (by some sort of accident) do you think you would have reacted the same way as her? (loss of self-confidence, hiding yourself, etc)

A: Probably to begin with. To be honest though, I always found when I was at school, that if you have a couple of friends who will stick by you, you don’t have to feel miserable all the time. I think in Heven’s situation I would be less bothered about the scars and more bothered by the nerve damage. I also think that if she just wore her hair up so that people could see the scars, they would eventually get used to them and stop staring.



2.       Do you think that Kimber’s plan for revenge against Cole (for kissing another girl) is a good idea?

A: I can see where Kimber’s plan came from. It can’t be nice to find your boyfriend kissing someone else. As awful as the plan was (she could have really hurt Sam and ruined her relationship with Cole), I understand that she wanted to teach Cole a lesson so that he wouldn’t cheat on her again. At least by having a plan she was sticking up for herself and not allowing Cole to walk all over her.



3.       In the beginning chapters, Heven is very drawn to Sam but won’t admit it due to her own insecurities. Kimber begins to “date” Sam… do you think that Heven should have spoken up? Do think Kimber should have seen Heven’s real feelings?

A: I think it would have been difficult for Kimber to see Heven’s true feelings when she has become so good at hiding everything. I also think that Kimber dating Sam gave him a way to get close to Heven which would have been difficult otherwise, so I suppose both Kimber and Sam were using one another.


4.       Masquerade is broken in four separate POV’s: Heven, Sam, The Hate and The Hope. Do you think having multiple POV’s adds depth to the story? Why or why not?

A: So far we have only heard from Heven, the hate, and the hope. I’m really curious to work out what ‘the hate’ and ‘the hope’ are, and I like the different points of view. I often think that a story is more in-depth when it’s told from multiple points of view, and in some cases it has to be this way if events are happening parallel to the main storyline and are outside of the main characters knowledge.


5. A great source of strength for Heven is her grandmother. Who do you think yours is/would be?

 A: Haven’t heard a lot from Grandma so far, but I understand why Heven goes there for a break. I think she feels like her old self again around the horses. I would have to say that my boyfriend is my main source of strength. He can always make me feel better, and supports me no matter what.


On to the next 8 chapters!


21 comments:

  1. Very insightful answers!!! I am so glad that you are enjoyigng the book! You know I think you have a point that if Heven had just put up her hair and made people get comfortable with her face then they wouldn have eventually stopped staring! Great point of view there!
    And you know, Heven was good at hiding her feelings so I can see how Kimber might not have known how she felt.
    It's great you have a boyfriend to support you!!! :) Its always great to have someone there when you need them.
    And you know, i never thought of it as Kimber not allowing Cole to walk over her by having a plan but thats a great way to think of it. I loved your answers this week and I can't wait to see what else you have to say next week!! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cambria, and thanks so much for writing such a fantastic book! I'm hooked!

      Delete
  2. You make a very good point about people eventually getting used to the scars. I think they would. Plus, she probably would as well.

    And, I'm glad your boyfriend is supportive. It's nice to hear things like that. It makes me believe that there are still some good ones left out there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, so nice to meet you and have you on the read along. You came up with some very insightful answers. I like that. Also super glad you are loving the book. Soon you will get into Sam's chapters and I think you will like him. I am glad you have a super supportive boyfriend, that is wonderful. Can't wait to see your answers for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your point about the first question, Sarah! <3 I definitely agree that as long as you have awesome friends who stick by you, it would be okay. The main reason why people were making a big deal of it was because Heven was, but I think if she just played it down and acted normal, everyone would hopefully get used to it! :)

    Awesome answers, Sarah! It's really nice to meet you, and I'm glad you're doing this read-along too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too agree that if she was showing her scars instead of hiding them everyone would eventually get used to them.

    I hope you enjoy Sam's POV as much as I did, it's honestly one of my favorite things about the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Sam's point of view. It makes him seem more real and really shows how much he loves Heven. I love when differing points of view are done well, it really allows you to fall in love with the characters.

      Delete
  6. Heven's gran is awesome, and that shows as the story unfolds. Her mother has some twisted ideas, so it is good that Heven has her grandmother. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Heven's mum is a bit nuts. If I could talk to her I would tell her to just humour her mum until she is old enough to move out. It doesn't exactly get easier, but at least you get a bit of a break when you don't have to live with mum anymore!

      Delete
  7. Great answers Sarah! By Heven trying so hard to hide the scars, it makes people more curious. After awhile they wouldn't even see it anymore, at least not the way Heven thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. Because people can't see them they want to know what they look like! If they got used to them they would forget about them.

      Delete
  8. Your right! I had completely forgotten about the nerve damage! That would be harder than having a scar!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what got to me really. Not the scars but the nerve damage. I think having a droopy face would be much worse than scars. Scars I could live with, a lopsided face? That I would have trouble with.

      Delete
  9. I agree, If Heven just gave a chance for someone to get used to it, it'd be better for her. I don't get why she pushed everyone away! Can't wait to see your answers next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, your answers are really different. I would never have the courage to wear my hair up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it really would take a lot of courage to do it, but I can imagine that her friends would have asked to see her scars anyway. I totally get why she felt the need to hide away though, it really would be an awful thing to go through.

      Delete