Friday, 20 April 2012

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

The Luxe (Luxe, #1)The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

(I own a copy of this book.)
This is the second time I have read this book and I still love it!

The year is 1899. Elizabeth is being forced to marry by her mother, as the family has no money, whilst Henry is being forced to marry by his father who wants to make Henry respectable before running for mayor.

The two become engaged, but Elizabeth is secretly in love with the family’s coachman. Henry has been ‘loving’ Elizabeth’s best friend Penelope, who is livid over the engagement, but has also secretly fallen in love with Elizabeth’s sister Diana.

The question is; how will they stop the wedding without disappointing people?

This book is just full of gossip, secret affairs, and intrigue.

I love Elizabeth who does her best to please her family irrespective of her own feelings, whilst carrying on with the coachman! This is not behaviour that anyone would expect from her ‘good girl’ image.

I love Penelope and her scheming. She just goes for whatever she wants, no matter what society says, and she is so determined that Henry will be hers!

I also love rebellious little Diana. She is just looking for trouble, and has no intention of a being a good society girl like Elizabeth.

If you haven’t read this series, I suggest you start now!


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Any book you've read more than once and still love must be an amazing read! :) I've heard awesome things about this series from friends and other bloggers, but I haven't really thought to pick it up since it didn't seem like my kind of book. But your recommendation is really tempting! x)

    Awesome review, Sarah! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly didn't read this the first time because it was set in 1899 and I don't really do history. I was shocked that I liked it so much, it's a bit like gossip girl in 1899!

      Delete