Friday, 27 April 2012

Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Jekel Loves HydeJekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
17-year-old Jill Jekel is a quiet girl who wants nothing more than to get on with her school work, and go off to college. However, her father wasrecently murdered and now it turns out that he also spent her college fund.

Tristen Hyde is a boy with a secret. A beast dwells inside him that makes him dream of murdering an innocent girl, and he worries that soon the beast will become too strong for him to control, and he really will kill.

When Jill and Tristen’s chemistry teacher enters them into a competition in which they can will $30,000 they at first decline, but then later change their minds. In Jill’s dead father’s study there is a locked box which Jill’s father claimed to contain the original documentation of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’s experiments from the fictional book.

Deciding that she really needs the money if she wants to go to college, Jill tells Tristen about the box, and he insists that they should repeat the experiments in an effort to save him from the beast that lives inside him. Of course things don’t go smoothly though, and Jill and Tristen find themselves in real trouble when other people what it is that they have done.

This book was alright. I enjoyed it up to a point, but found the last 20% actually pretty boring (sorry!). Jill was a quiet girl who generally didn’t like to make waves, whilst Tristen was just a boy with a bit of an attitude. To be honest I found Tristen really one-dimensional. As much as I wanted to like him I just didn’t feel like I really knew him at all. The book was split in two – part from Jill’s perspective, and part from Tristen’s perspective, and Tristen’s part was just not good. I really got nothing from him, and couldn’t relate at all, which was strange because Jill was really easy to like.

There were a couple of twists that I didn’t see coming, but if I had read the original story I think these twists would have probably been fairly obvious. There were also a couple of annoying moments – crushing a sedating antihistamine into someone’s glass of water would not cause them to immediately lose consciousness. It would probably take at least 10-20 minutes. If I was being picky I would also say that the cover of this book really doesn’t suit it at all.

As I said before I got bored at the end of this book which is a bit weird because usual the end is the most exciting part. I was also a little confused about the end outcome, (view spoiler)[ does Jill now have the beast inside her or not? I really couldn’t decide if that was what the author was hinting at when she said that ‘Jill would never truly be alone again’. (hide spoiler)]
Overall; an okay read, but the end disappointed me.
7 out of 10.
(Book length: 3680 kindle locations)

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this book before. It sounds interesting! Thanks for the review. Im a new follower and email subscriber of yours :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and letting me know that glimpse is free! Im so excited and I already grabbed a copy. :) Do you have a twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I've never even heard of this book. It sounds like it could be an interesting read. Hm.. I might pick it up if I have time. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete